Phase 1 & 2 Environmental Study
Ben Engineering provides information for industrial and commercial property owners regarding the environmental compliance. Ben Engineering provides Environmental Study services throughout Ontario, Canada. This Environmental Study is conducted by an environmental engineering professional strictly following the requirements listed by Canadian Standard Association Z768-01 Standard, Ontario Regulation 153/04, and the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation.
What is the rationale behind the Environmental Study?
The first level environmental studies purpose, outlined by the CSA Z768-01 Standard is to locate actual areas of site contamination as well as potential areas of contamination on property by collecting visually accessible verification and looking up necessary background documents.
The preliminary level of an environmental study, these listed items are not necessary:
- Intrusive investigation
- Laboratory testing
- Physical analysis
- Sample gathering
What needs to be done during the first phase of the Environmental Study?
Commercial or industrial property owners should keep in mind that while the entire scope of this assessment is defined by the CSA and can be modified to meet the requirements of the person requesting the environmental study, there are four items that remain involved in the entire process:
- To ensure all data is collected, all mandatory as well as optional (applicable) documentation is reviewed regarding the site and neighboring sites.
- A visit to the site is scheduled to examine the visual evidence regarding potential/actual contamination.
- Interviews are taken place, including site personnel and government officials.
- An Environmental Study is published with all the findings and conclusions based off of evaluated information.
Please note that while the environmental study is conducted in strict adherence to CSA standards, the intention of the assessment is not to eliminate the likelihood of potential contamination but just minimize the possibility instead.
When is the Environmental Study required and who can request to have it done?
In many cases, the Environmental Study is required before the purchase of commercial or industrial property to minimize potential liability risks that may come about due to contamination.
Those who can request an Environmental Study include:
- The property buyer as a form of good judgment
- The financial lending institution responsible for the financing of the property
- The local municipality
Listed below some of our other services: